The vivid green color of Matcha Yugen and the inviting aroma of this high grade matcha hint at the flavors yet to come. Matcha Yugen has a pleasing vegetal and umami taste that elevates the daily ritual of drinking matcha.
Matcha Yugen is a stone-milled matcha made from Kyoto grown tea leaves. The irresistible creamy texture is noticeable from the moment it is sifted, and it delights until the very last drop.
Matcha Yugen is produced by Marukyu Koyamaen in Uji, Kyoto. Since 1704, Marukyu Koyamaen has been perfecting its tea cultivation and processing to offer superior Japanese teas. Marukyu Koyamaen is committed to its motto: "Making teas with quality as the highest priority."
How is Matcha Yugen made
Matcha Yugen is crafted by shading tea plants several weeks before the harvest. The gradual shading results in a higher concentration of nutrients and a brighter green color. In the first harvest of the year, the umami rich leaves are carefully picked and steamed. They are then dried and stored as unfinished tencha until needed. Matcha Yugen is then made by removing the stems and veins of the tea leaves, and grinding the delicate leaves in a stone mill to create a high grade matcha powder.
How to make usucha (thin matcha)
- Pour hot water into a chawan (tea bowl).
- Soak the bristles of chasen (bamboo whisk) in the hot water to soften.
- Discard the water and dry the chawan with a soft cloth.
- Into the chawan, sift 1 teaspoon of Matcha Yugen using a sieve to avoid any lumps.
- Add 60-70 ml of 75-85°C (170-185°F) filtered water.
- Whisk together in zigzag or M shaped motion, while being careful not to press the chasen against the sides and bottom of the chawan.
- When the large bubbles turn into finer bubbles, gently raise the chasen in a circular motion from the middle of the chawan.
- Enjoy your smooth bowl of matcha.
How to store Matcha Yugen
Keep Matcha Yugen in a cool, dark, and dry spot as it is sensitive to heat, light, and humidity. After opening, keep tightly closed in between uses.
Serving size: 1 teaspoon (1.5 g)
Ingredients: 100% Japanese green tea (Camellia sinensis)
Origin: Kyoto, Japan