Frothy coffee (Dalgona coffee) is having its moment, and this is one home cafe trend everyone is eager to try out for themselves. In this recipe, we show you how to create a perfectly whipped coffee for a delicious addition to your iced hojicha latte.
This Macau style coffee is traditionally hand-stirred over 400 times until it becomes fluffy. Since this method can take well over 20 minutes, we decided to speed things up. While it can also be done with a hand-held frother, the quickest way to make Dalgona coffee is with the help of a hand mixer.
After a few minutes of beating equal parts of your desired type of sugar, instant coffee, and hot water you’ll begin to notice the stunning transformation. The resulting creamy topping is beautiful and tasty, as its flavor is reminiscent of Dalgona candy or Honeycomb Toffee.
Save this recipe to enjoy hojicha topped with frothy coffee the next time you’re looking for a sweet mid-morning pick-me-up.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ½ cup ice
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- 60 ml cold filtered water
- 100 ml milk
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of instant coffee, and 2 tablespoons of hot water into a measuring cup or bowl.
- Beat together using a hand mixer on low and then gradually increase the speed.
- Continue beating for approximately 5 minutes on high speed until the color of the mixture lightens and a meringue consistency is achieved. Stop and set aside once firm peaks begin to form when the beaters are lifted.
- Add ½ cup ice into a glass.
- Whisk together 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder and 60 ml of cold water filtered in a tea bowl.
- Pour the whisked hojicha over the ice.
- Pour 100 ml of your preferred milk over the hojicha.
- Scoop the frothy coffee onto your iced hojicha and stir before drinking.