After spending the summer perfecting iced hojicha lattes, we weren’t quite ready to say goodbye to beautifully layered drinks. That is why we’re warming up with the Hojicha Latte Macchiato.
There are three secrets to making this impressive three layered latte at home.
The density of each layer is key
The lower layer consists of steamed milk, and has to be much denser than the rest of the layers. This means that you'll want to use a milk with a high fat content. If you intend on using a sweetener in your macchiato, then be sure to add it into the milk as it can also help increase the density. We’ve chosen to use oat milk for our hojicha latte macchiato as it is very thick and foams well.
The milk needs to be steamed and foamed well
The macchiato is topped by a thick layer of milk foam. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use a hand-held milk frother or even a french press, hand blender, or mixer. Whichever tool you use, the trick is to froth your steamed milk until it increases in volume and becomes very foamy. The foam should be light and airy enough for it to float above the whisked hojicha.
The hojicha layer should be hotter than the milk
While preparing your hojicha layer, whisk your hojicha powder with hot water. In the meantime, the creamy steamed milk and light foam will begin to cool and settle into two distinct layers. Then when you pour your hot hojicha, the lower density as well as high temperature will keep it resting above the steamed milk.
- 160 ml milk (we used oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- 60 ml filtered water
- Optional: 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Add 160 ml oat milk, and, if desired, 1 teaspoons of maple syrup to a small saucepan.
- Heat the milk on medium-low until steam appears.
- Remove the milk from the heat and froth well.
- Slowly pour the steamed and frothed milk into a glass.
- Heat filtered water to 80°C.
- Add 1 teaspoon of hojicha powder and 60 ml hot water to a chawan (tea bowl).
- Whisk together until hojicha is fully dissolved. Slowly and carefully pour the hojicha into the middle of the milk foam.
- Appreciate the masterpiece you’ve just created, and then sit back and sip on your luxurious hojicha latte macchiato.