Hojicha Bubble Tea with Fresh Tapioca Pearls
In the mood for hojicha bubble tea (or hojicha boba)? Well guess what, you can make your own bubble tea at home! Making tapioca pearls from scratch is much easier than it sounds, and best of all you can flavor them with our rich and smoky hojicha powder.
As you enjoy your perfectly chewy tapioca pearls, you will be so proud of your homemade hojicha bubble tea that you’ll start planning the next time you can prepare another batch.
- 1 tablespoon Hojicha Powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, divided
- 2 - 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener
- 10 grams Hojicha Dark Roast (approximately 4 tablespoons)
- 300 ml filtered water
- 200 ml steamed milk
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon Hojicha Powder and ¼ cup tapioca starch.
- Gradually add hot water, one tablespoon at a time until a dough forms.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to another small bowl.
- Line a tray with parchment paper, and dust with 1 tablespoon tapioca starch.
- Form pea-sized tapioca pearls, and place on the parchment paper. Make sure they are smaller than the straw you intend to use.
- When shaping each hojicha tapioca pearl, you can use additional tapioca starch or water to get the dough just right. If your dough is too dry and breaking apart, dip your finger in the small bowl of water to smooth any cracks. If your dough is disintegrating, add more tapioca starch until it comes together again.
- Once all the hojicha tapioca pearls are formed, fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the tapioca pearls to the boiling water, and stir once to avoid them sticking to each other.
- Once the tapioca pearls all float, lower the heat to medium and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain the tapioca pearls and rinse well under cold water.
- Add the tapioca pearls to a large glass.
- Cover the tapioca pearls with 2 tablespoons of liquid sweetener.
- Add 10 grams Hojicha Dark Roast to a teapot.
- Bring filtered water to a boil, and pour 300 ml of water over the roasted green tea leaves in circular motions.
- Let steep for 1 full minute.
- Strain the tea leaves while pouring the brewed hojicha into a measuring cup.
- Add 200 ml of steamed milk to the measuring cup and stir, then pour over the tapioca pearls.
- Sip on your hojicha bubble tea and pat yourself on the back for making your own fresh tapioca pearls.
Craving a cold drink? Try hojicha tapioca pearls with our Hojicha Iced Tea.