Hojicha Bubble Tea with Fresh Tapioca Pearls
In the mood for hojicha bubble tea (or hojicha boba)? Well guess what, you can make your own bubble tea at home! Making tapioca pearls from scratch is much simpler than it sounds, and best of all you can flavor them with the rich and smoky Hojicha Powder.
This quick and easy recipe was especially designed to satisfy your boba tea cravings even if you're a beginner. As you enjoy your perfectly chewy tapioca pearls, you will be so proud of your homemade hojicha bubble tea that you’ll be dreaming of your next batch before you're even done.
Hojicha Tapioca Pearls
- 1 tablespoon Hojicha Powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, divided
- 2-4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener (we used maple syrup)
Hojicha Milk Tea
- 10 grams Hojicha Dark Roast (approximately 4 tablespoons)
- 300 ml filtered water
- 200 ml milk
- Prepare the hojicha tapioca pearls by lining a tray with parchment paper, and dusting the top half with 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch.
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon Hojicha Powder and ¼ cup tapioca starch in a medium bowl until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add 2-4 tablespoons of hot water into the hojicha mixture, until a dry dough begins to forms (you may not need all of the water). Then knead together until smooth.
- Roll out the dough into several thin logs on the bottom half of the parchment paper, and cut into equal segments.
- Form pea-sized tapioca pearls, and place each one onto the dusted parchment paper. Make sure they are smaller than the straw you intend to use.
- When shaping each hojicha tapioca pearl, you can use additional tapioca starch or hot water to get the dough just right. If your dough is too dry and breaking apart, dip your finger in a small bowl of hot water to smooth any cracks. If your dough is wet and disintegrating, then add more tapioca starch until it comes together again.
- Once all of the hojicha tapioca pearls are formed, fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the tapioca pearls to the boiling water, and stir once to avoid them sticking to each other.
- Once the tapioca pearls all float, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of your desired liquid sweetener, and add to a tall glass.
- Drain the tapioca pearls and rinse well under cold water.
- Add the tapioca pearls to the warm sweetener.
- Prepare the hojicha milk tea by bringing 300 ml of filtered water to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Lower the heat, then add 10 g of Hojicha Dark Roast and 200 ml of your desired milk.
- Steep the tea leaves on low for two minutes, then remove from the heat and let stand covered for five minutes.
- Strain the tea leaves into a measuring cup, then pour over the tapioca pearls.
- Stir well and sip on your homemade hojicha bubble tea.