When you can't decide between matcha and hojicha, then try combining the two to make a rich and flavorful Matcha & Hojicha Fusion Latte.
Matcha and Hojicha Powder are both Japanese tea powders that can be whisked to create hot or iced lattes. Matcha is a green tea with vegetal notes, and is bright green in color. Hojicha Powder is also a finely ground green tea, however it is roasted in high temperatures resulting in earthy cocoa notes and a reddish brown color. While each tea is typically enjoyed separately, the two can be combined to create a delicious iced latte when you’re looking for the best of both worlds.
In this recipe, we use the same bamboo whisk to prepare both matcha and hojicha. A Japanese tea whisk (chasen) can last for years with the proper care, and so it is important to thoroughly rinse the whisk before and after each use in warm water. This will keep the whisk clean, as well as soften the prongs in order to prevent breakage.
We first start with the vibrant matcha layer, which is created by whisking up sifted matcha and cold water. The green matcha mixture is then poured over a tall glass of ice. Sifting your matcha and using cold water will ensure there are no clumps in your drink. The cold water also helps with the aesthetics of the drink as it minimizes the matcha's froth and keeps the ice from melting.
The milk of your choice can be used to create the second layer. The longer you wait to add the milk, the cooler the matcha will become which will keep it from blending together with the milk.
Finally, Hojicha Powder is whisked with cold water for the third layer. Again, cold water is used to keep the ice from melting, and waiting for the previous layer to cool will keep the hojicha on top for longer.
After watching the layers slowly mix together to create camo patterns in your drink, you can finally stir it up and enjoy sipping on your Matcha & Hojicha Fusion Latte.
- ½ cup ice
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- 120 ml cold filtered water, divided
- 200 ml milk
- 2 teaspoons Hojicha Powder
- Optional: sweetener to taste
- Add ½ cup of ice to a tall glass.
- Whisk together 1 teaspoon of sifted matcha and 40 ml of cold water.
- Pour matcha over the ice.
- Slowly pour 200 ml of milk into the glass.
- Whisk together 2 teaspoons of Hojicha Powder and 80 ml of cold water.
- Gently pour the hojicha over the milk, and watch the three colors swirl together.
- If desired, add sweetener to taste as you stir the Matcha & Hojicha Fusion Latte.