Hojicha Strawberry is a refreshing and lightly sweet fruit flavored iced tea that will quench your thirst on a warm day.
How to prepare Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea?
Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea is prepared by first steeping hojicha tea leaves to create a strong infusion. The tea is then poured over ice and sweetened with Strawberry Syrup. In this recipe, we used an easy no-cook syrup to make this flavor pairing even more delicious.
What is No-Cook Strawberry Syrup?
No-Cook Strawberry Syrup is a wonderful way to enjoy the fresh taste of summer berries all year round. Just as it sounds, this sweet syrup is made with raw strawberries and without any cooking, boiling, or any heat at all. Instead, the natural taste of the strawberries is slowly extracted by sugar to create an incredibly flavorful and vibrant syrup that can keep for months.
How to make the Strawberry Syrup?
The Strawberry Syrup is made by combining equal parts of strawberries and sugar in a sterilized glass jar. Lemon juice is also added to act as a preservative and balance out the sweetness. The jar is then placed in the fridge until all of the sugar dissolves. Once a day, the jar should be gently turned upside down and shaken to mix everything up. Depending on the fruit and sugar used, the syrup can take anywhere from a couple of days to just over a week.
Which sugar to use for the Strawberry Syrup?
Sugar is essential to this recipe as it helps preserve the flavor and color of the fruit. We recommend using rock sugar for a delicious and flavorful syrup, however any sugar of your choice will work in this recipe. If granulated sugar, be sure to shake the jar slightly more vigorously and more often to avoid it clumping at the bottom.
Which fruit to use for the syrup?
While we used fresh strawberries, any fresh or frozen fruit can be used to create a fruit flavored hojicha. If using fresh fruit, be sure to select only firm fruit and cut off any mushy parts. If using frozen fruit, add them directly to the jar without thawing. As they thaw, they will release their juices and will speed up the process. A mix of summer berries or your favorite fruit combinations can also be used to create various blends.
Stay hydrated with this colorful and delicious Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea.
- 100 g fresh strawberries
- 100 g rock sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry Syrup
- ¾ cup ice
- 10 g hojicha tea leaves
- 240 ml filtered water
- Prepare the Strawberry Syrup by thoroughly washing 100 grams of fresh strawberries.
- Dry the strawberries with a clean towel and remove the stems.
- Add the strawberries and 100 grams of rock sugar into a sterilized glass jar, while alternating between the two.
- Place the jar in the fridge, and gently shake once a day.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, the strawberry syrup is ready to use.
- Prepare the Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea by adding 1 tablespoon of the Strawberry Syrup and ¾ cup of ice into a tall glass.
- Into a teapot, add 10 grams of hojicha tea leaves and 240 ml of 80°C (175°F) filtered water.
- Steep the roasted green tea leaves for 60 seconds.
- Pour the infusion over the ice, and enjoy the fresh and fruity flavors of Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea.