Hojicha Soda with Fruit Vinegar is a delicious way to stay hydrated on a hot day.
What is Hojicha Soda with Fruit Vinegar?
Hojicha Soda with Fruit Vinegar is a refreshing iced drink made with Japanese tea powder, and your choice of seasonal fruit, vinegar, and carbonated water. In this recipe, we layer whisked Hojicha Powder over club soda and sweeten the drink with homemade Fruit Vinegar.
What is Fruit Vinegar?
Fruit Vinegar is a sweet and tart syrup that is also known as a fruit shrub, drinking vinegar, or squash. The tangy syrup is most often mixed with carbonated water to create vibrant mocktails, and can be also enjoyed with still water or milk.
How do you make Fruit Vinegar?
Fruit Vinegar is made in a similar way to the no-cook fruit syrup used in the Hojicha Strawberry Iced Tea. The main difference is that instead of lemon juice, vinegar is added. A well balanced fruit vinegar has a 1:1:1 ratio of fruit, sugar, and vinegar. While equal parts of fruit and sugar must be maintained, the amount of vinegar can be adjusted to taste.
Which vinegar to use for Fruit Vinegar?
The best vinegars to use for Fruit Vinegar are apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or balsamic vinegar. These three will yield the best results in terms of flavor, as they are less sour than white vinegar. Mix and match each vinegar with various fruits to discover your favorite combination.
- 100 g fresh strawberries
- 100 g rock sugar
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon fruit vinegar
- 260 ml club soda, divided
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- Wash, dry, and remove the stems of 100 grams of fresh strawberries.
- Into a sterilized glass jar, alternate between adding strawberries and 100 grams of rock sugar.
- Pour 100 ml of apple cider vinegar into a the jar.
- Place the jar in the fridge, and shake to mix once a day. After a couple of days the sugar will dissolve and the fruit vinegar will be ready.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice and 1 tablespoon of fruit vinegar syrup into a glass.
- Stir in 200 ml of club soda.
- In a tea bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder and 60 ml of club soda.
- Slowly pour the whisked hojicha into the glass.
- Enjoy the balance between the sweet, tart, and earthy flavors of your Hojicha Soda with Fruit Vinegar.