The essence of a dozen rose bouquet is captured in this sweet Hojicha Rose Tea Latte, making it a small gesture of love to yourself.
What is rose tea?
While hojicha is a Japanese roasted green tea made from the Camellia sinensis plant, rose tea is a herbal tea (also known as a tisane) made from rose flowers. Rose buds or petals are carefully dried to preserve their natural shape, color, and flavor. When they are steeped in hot water, the resulting rose infusion is incredibly fragrant and has a sweet floral scent and taste that lingers. The prepared rose tea can be enjoyed straight, as a tea latte, or paired with other pink ingredients such as hibiscus, beetroot, or raspberries.
How to make rose tea?
Rose tea is made by placing dried rose buds into a teapot with a built-in strainer, an infuser, or even a glass measuring cup (as you can easily strain the blooms with a sieve). Hot water is then poured over the rose buds, and they are steeped for five minutes as they expand and the deep pink fades into lovely blush color. The standard ratio for making rose tea is one teaspoon of dried rose buds per one cup of water. However, you may wish to add more if you plan on making an iced tea or a tea latte.
How to make a Hojicha Rose Tea Latte?
The standard Hojicha Latte recipe is made by whisking Hojicha Powder with water, however, you can also experiment with whisking the tea powder with your favorite tea or tisane. In this recipe, we whisk the Hojicha Powder with rose tea to pair the earthy and chocolatey notes of the roasted green tea with a light and floral taste. We then add a splash of maple syrup to bring out even more flavor and aroma. Steamed and frothed milk is poured into the mixture, and finally the hojicha latte is garnished with a delicate sprinkle of dried rose petals.
Each sip of this warm Hojicha Rose Tea Latte brings the sweet scent of roses and a floral flavor enveloped by the richness of hojicha. Take a moment to show yourself the love you deserve, and treat yourself to this romantic drink.
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried rose buds
- 100 ml filtered water
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 140 ml milk (we used soy milk)
- ½ teaspoon of dried rose petals
- Steep 1 heaping teaspoon of dried rose buds in 100 ml of 95°C (205°F) filtered water for 5 minutes.
- Whisk 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder with half of the rose tea (about 50 ml) until fully dissolved. Then add the remaining half (about 50 ml).
- Add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and stir.
- Steam and froth 140 ml of your preferred milk, and pour into the whisked hojicha.
- Lightly crush a few dried rose buds, and gather ½ teaspoon of rose petals.
- Sprinkle the bright rose petals on top of your Hojicha Rose Tea Latte for a beautiful finish.