Remember those mesmerizing pinwheel cookies? Hojicha Pinwheel Cookies are the kid’s classic all grown up. The standard cocoa powder is upgraded with deliciously distinct Hojicha Powder, which is used to create the eye-catching spiral. This cookie recipe also happens to be entirely vegan and gluten free, so you can share them with (and impress) all of your friends.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Hojicha Powder
- Whisk together 1 cup of almond flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream together 2 tablespoons of plant-based butter and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Add 4 tablespoons of maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer half of the dough into the medium bowl, and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Hojicha Powder to the remaining half, and mix well until the dough is even in color and no streaks remain.
- Shape each dough into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove the hojicha flavored dough from the freezer, and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the hojicha flavored dough into a rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick, and place back in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the vanilla flavored dough.
- Place one rectangle of dough over the other, and gently press the two together.
- Starting with the short end of the rectangle, use the parchment paper to roll tightly into a log.
- Wrap the dough with plastic wrap, and place back into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C, and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to slice ¼ inch cookies, while rotating the log every few slices (this will keep their shape round).
- Place the cookies one inch apart on the lined baking sheet, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are golden.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Dunk your freshly baked Hojicha Pinwheel Cookies in a hojicha latte, and enjoy your tea-infused treats.