The Hojicha Mojito is the perfect summer mocktail to enjoy on a hot day.
What is a Mojito?
A Mojito is an iconic summer cocktail that was created in Havana, Cuba. The alcoholic cocktail consists of mint, lime juice, sugar, white rum, and soda water. Among the many variations, a "Virgin Mojito" or "Nojito" is a version made without any alcohol.
What is a Hojicha Mojito?
A Hojicha Mojito is a Virgin Mojito that swaps out the white rum for Japanese roasted green tea. This aromatic iced tea mocktail is easy to drink, and has the ideal balance of sweetness and tartness.
How to make a Hojicha Mojito?
The Hojicha Mojito is made by first steeping hojicha tea leaves and sweetening the infusion. The tea is set aside to cool, while fresh mint leaves and lime wedges are added into a glass and muddled. The hojicha is then poured into the glass over the gently crushed mint leaves, lime, and ice which helps to further chill the tea. Club soda is poured into the glass, and garnish is added as a final touch.
Which tea is best to use for a Hojicha Mojito?
The best tea to use for a Hojicha Mojito is Hojicha Classic or Hojicha Light Roast. The roasted green tea leaves bring a subtle sweetness and richness that perfectly compliments the minty-citrus flavors.
Try this cool and refreshing Hojicha Mojito for a mocktail that tastes especially good in hot weather.
- 7 g Hojicha Classic (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 mint leaves
- ½ lime
- ½ cup ice
- 80 ml club soda
- 1 sprig of mint
- Add 7 grams of Hojicha Classic into a kyusu.
- Pour 160 ml of 80°C (175°F) filtered water over the tea leaves.
- Steep the hojicha for 60 seconds.
- Transfer the prepared infusion into a small glass pitcher.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar into the hojicha and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Add 8 mint leaves to a glass.
- Cut a ½ a lime into slices or wedges, and add into the glass.
- Lightly mash the mint and lime with a muddler or pestle to release the fresh fragrance and flavor.
- Add ½ cup of ice into the glass.
- Pour the hojicha into the glass.
- Top the tea with 80 ml of club soda.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
- Stir, sip, and enjoy your delicious Hojicha Mojito.