Hojicha adds a lovely depth to this sweet and spicy Gingerbread Hojicha Latte.
What does hojicha taste like?
In this recipe, we use Hojicha Powder to add a delicious rich flavor. Hojicha Powder is made from Japanese green tea leaves which are roasted and then finely ground. The roasted tea powder has deep chocolatey and earthy notes that pair perfectly with the warm spices of gingerbread. The flavorful Hojicha Powder is the perfect addition to this festive holiday classic.
What does gingerbread taste like?
The key ingredients in every gingerbread recipe are ginger and molasses. These two flavors appear in every recipe for a gingerbread house, gingerbread, and gingerbread cookies. While they are the stars of this gingerbread latte, ginger is often paired with other warming spices such as cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. The result is a spicy and uniquely sweet taste.
How to make a Gingerbread Hojicha Latte?
The Gingerbread Hojicha Latte is made with ginger, cinnamon, and cloves for a perfectly balanced spicy flavor that warms the body. The whole spices are steeped in boiling water for a smooth and extremely flavorful taste. The infusion is then whisked with Hojicha Powder, and combined with your preferred milk. The smoky sweetness of the hot latte comes from molasses and brown sugar, which enhance the aroma and flavor.
We would love to see your Gingerbread Hojicha Latte! If you make one, please share it with us by tagging your photo with @hojicha.co.
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 100 ml filtered water
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- 140 ml milk, we used soy milk
- Brown sugar to taste
- Wash then peel a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger using a spoon.
- Thinly slice the ginger or chop into smaller pieces for a spicier latte.
- Add the ginger into a teapot along with 1 cinnamon stick and 2 whole cloves.
- Pour 100 ml of boiling water into the teapot, cover, and let steep for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk together 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder and 60 ml of the ginger infusion.
- Add ½ teaspoon molasses, the whisked hojicha, and the remaining 40 ml of the ginger infusion into a mug. Stir well to dissolve the molasses.
- Steam 140 ml of milk, and add to the mug.
- Generously sprinkle brown sugar over the milk and stir.
- Enjoy your deliciously spiced Gingerbread Hojicha Latte.