Inspired by the beloved espresso tonic, we combined two distinctly Japanese flavors to create the Fizzy Yuzu Hojicha. If you’re a big fan of soda or seltzer then you’ll love this bubbly alternative. The aesthetically pleasing Fizzy Yuzu Hojicha is light, sweet, and fragrant.
In the first layer, we replaced the bitter tonic with sweet yuzu marmalade and sparkling water. Yuzu is an aromatic citrus fruit with a bright tartness. While yuzu isn’t widely available outside of Japan, ready-made yuzu marmalade or syrup can be found in your local asian grocery store. Simply check the ingredients of citrus products for yuzu (ユズ in Japanese) or yuja (유자 in Korean). In addition to its unique taste, the sweetness of yuzu marmalade ensures the next layer floats at the top.
Instead of brewed coffee, Hojicha Powder is used to create a double shot of roasted green tea for the second layer. Cold sparkling water is whisked with the Hojicha Powder to ensure maximum carbonation. As with our Strawberry Hojicha Latte, you’ll need to add at least one ice cube before pouring to keep the layers separate.
Yuzu and hojicha make for a surprisingly delicious pair as they come together to create this appealing drink in under 2 minutes. If you make your own layered Fizzy Yuzu Hojicha, let us know by tagging us on Instagram!
- 1 tablespoon yuzu marmalade
- 250 ml sparkling water, divided
- 1 ice cube
- ½ teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- Add one tablespoon of yuzu marmalade and 190 ml of sparkling water into a glass. Stir the two until combined.
- Carefully drop one or more ice cubes into the translucent mixture.
- Combine the remaining 60 ml of sparkling water with ½ teaspoon of Hojicha Powder using a bamboo whisk or hand-held frother.
- Slowly pour the hojicha directly onto the ice, and marvel at your Fizzy Yuzu Hojicha.
- Before drinking, stir together to evenly distribute.