There are gifts you buy, and gifts you bake. These Hojicha Shortbread Cookies make for the sweetest gift, worthy of your dearest friends and family.
In this recipe, a little hojicha goes a long way. Infusing the roasted green tea powder in the plant-based butter, gives these cookies an intense hojicha flavor that will leave anyone craving for more. Sounds tasty? Bake a double batch so you can share your home-baked goods, and sneak a few for yourself.
- 1.5 tablespoons Hojicha Powder
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- Add 1.5 tablespoons Hojicha Powder, ½ cup of plant-based butter, 6 tablespoons of organic coconut palm sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to a bowl. Cream together with a spoon until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup unbleached flour to the bowl, mixing well after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, and shape into a thin rectangle.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 315°F / 155°C.
- Once firm, place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Then roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter of your choice, and place one inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. If dough becomes too soft to handle, return to the fridge until firm.
- Place the ready-to-bake cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes to keep their shape and prevent spreading.
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes at 315°F / 155°C.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Breath in the incredible aroma of the freshly baked hojicha shortbread, before enjoying the melt-in-your-mouth cookies with a fresh cup of roasted green tea.