Wondering how to make a delicious hojicha latte that rivals the one you've had at the cafe? Then read on to find out how easy it is to make a rich and creamy hojicha latte at home.
The first and main ingredient you'll need to make your hojicha latte is authentic Hojicha Powder made in Japan. The expertly roasted and ultrafine Hojicha Powder is crafted especially for creating a smooth tea latte with a perfectly balanced toasty and earthy flavor.
Next you'll need milk and sweetener, and since you're at home you get to pick your favorites. We recommend oat milk since it pairs well with the roasted tea and froths well. While sweetener is completely optional, especially with the naturally sweet oat milk, maple syrup makes for a tasty latte without overshadowing the flavor of the hojicha.
Now that you’ve gathered all of the ingredients, you're ready to make a homemade hojicha latte. We recommend starting with 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder and 60 ml of water. Make sure the temperature of the water is 80°C (175°F) or lower, and use filtered water for the best taste. You can pick whether you prefer to use a whisk, an electric frother, or a spoon. Whichever tool you choose, just be sure the Hojicha Powder is fully dissolved in the water before adding the sweetener and the steamed and frothed milk.
The best part of a homemade hojicha latte is that you can easily customize it to your liking. Once you've whisked your hojicha, you can add the frothed milk and completely omit the sweetener. Or you can make your hojicha even sweetener by adding more maple syrup or another sweetener all together.
You can also experiment with the type and amount of milk you use. If you'd like a much stronger hojicha flavor, then try adjusting the ratio of water to milk. The standard hojicha latte is made with a ratio of 1:3 water to milk, however, more water will result in a stronger latte. Just be sure to whisk the Hojicha Powder with a minimal amount of water first, before adding any additional water to make it easier to dissolve. If you prefer to replicate the same thick and creamy latte that is served in tea and coffee shops, then keep the 1:3 water to milk ratio and simply add more Hojicha Powder.
Tips for making the best hojicha latte ever:
- Water temperature matters. Avoid boiling water that will leave you with a bitter tasting drink, and instead always use water that is 80°C (175°F) or lower.
- Whisk the Hojicha Powder well. Regardless of the tool you choose, be sure to whisk the Hojicha Powder until it is fully dissolved to better incorporate it with the milk.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Customize the hojicha latte to your taste by experimenting with different types of milk and sweeteners.
This simple recipe is the perfect way to indulge in a warm and comforting hojicha latte at home.
- 1 teaspoon Hojicha Powder
- 60 ml 80°C (175°F) filtered water
- 180 ml milk (we used oat milk)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sweetener (we used maple syrup)
- Whisk 1 teaspoon of Hojicha Powder and 60 ml of 80°C (175°F) filtered water together by using a traditional bamboo whisk, an electric milk frother, or spoon.
- If desired, add 1 teaspoon of sweetener and stir.
- Steam and froth 180 ml milk.
- Pour the hot milk into your tea bowl or mug and enjoy your rich and creamy Hojicha Latte in a cozy spot in your home.